Tomato Soup Recipe
Tomato soup and grilled cheese is a classic cold-weather combo that makes a tasty lunch or dinner. But rather than reaching for a canned variety of tomato soup next time you’re in the mood for this dynamic duo, why not make your own from scratch? It’s surprisingly simple and way more delicious.
My favorite tomato soup recipe includes a lot of ingredients you may already have in your kitchen, which makes it an easy last-minute meal. But you do need one special ingredient if you want your tomato soup to reach its full, flavorful potential—our Hickory Smoked Salt. This one-of-a-kind salt gives it a rich, smoky flavor that blows other tomato soup recipes out of the water. Give it a try, and let us know what you think!
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp Hickory Real Salt Smoked Salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Fresh basil (for garnish)
- Rinse and cut 4 Roma tomatoes into quarters.
- Dice half of a medium yellow onion.
- Crush and rough chop 5 cloves of garlic.
- In a medium stock pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat.
- Add tomato, onion, and garlic to the pot, then stir.
- Season with 2 teaspoons of Hickory Smoked Salt, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme, and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Cook until the garlic and onion brown (about 12 minutes).
- Remove from the pot and blend until smooth.
- Strain back into the pot through a mesh strainer.
- Press the pulp with a spatula to get as much juice out as possible.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and 1/2 cup of heavy cream to the pot and stir.
- Garnish with basil and serve.