There's nothing quite like the aroma of freshly baked treats filling your home during the cold winter months. These scrumptious cookies from our friends at the Cookiee Club are a comforting indulgence with a healthier twist since they contain less sugar and a generous dose of protein. Elevate your winter baking experience with this wholesome and delicious treat that combines the comfort of the season with a commitment to a healthier lifestyle.
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips without refined sugar (great choices include Guittard Sante Dark Chocolate No Sugar Added Baking Chips made with coconut sugar or Hu No Added Sugar Chocolate Chips sweetened with dates)
- 3 Tbsp. grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 room temperature egg or 1 flax egg replacement
- ¼ cup all-purpose unbleached flour or gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour is a great option)
- ¼ cup chocolate-based protein powder (Just Ingredients Mint Chocolate Protein Powder works well if you’re a fan of mint and chocolate)
- 1 pinch Real Salt
- 1 Tbsp. espresso powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and butter together in 30-second increments until silky smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg for 3 minutes until thick and pale in color. Dissolve the sugar as much as possible by whisking.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg and sugar mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Add the flour, protein powder, sea salt, and espresso powder (if using), and fold in with a rubber spatula until the last bit of flour disappears.
- With a 1.3 oz. cookie scoop, evenly drop 6-8 cookies onto a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set and the cookie tops are shiny and crackly. Be careful not to overbake.
- Cool and enjoy with a tall glass of milk.