Certain food combinations might sound a little out there at first but end up being nothing short of mouthwatering brilliance. Prosciutto-wrapped watermelon is the perfect example! The sweet and savory flavors complemented by the textures of tender prosciutto and juicy watermelon make for a memorable snack or side dish that will blow you away. The whole dish is elevated even more by the smoky goodness from your grill and a dash of Smoked Real Salt.
- 1 watermelon
- Queso fresco (garnish)
- 1 package of prosciutto
- ½ Tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- A pinch of Cherry Smoked Real Salt
- Rosemary (for garnish)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut off the ends of the watermelon, then cut the watermelon in half. Place one half rind-side up and cut it lengthwise into 1.5- 2 inch slices. Crosscut those slices about every 1.5- 2 inches. Don’t cut off the rind (it’s a useful place to hold the watermelon).
- Take the long pieces of watermelon and wrap each one with a slice of prosciutto. Slide the prosciutto-wrapped watermelon pieces onto a skewer.
- Place the watermelon skewers on the grill, leaving some space (about half an inch) between each skewer.
- While grilling, use a sprig of rosemary as a brush to lightly coat the watermelon with olive oil, adding a subtle rosemary flavor.
- Grill them for approximately 2 minutes on each side. This will lightly cook the prosciutto and slightly warm the watermelon.
- After cooking for 2 minutes per side, remove the skewers from the heat, and sprinkle them with a pinch of Cherry Smoked Real Salt.
- Crumble queso fresco over the watermelon skewers, allowing it to melt slightly.
- Sprinkle pine nuts evenly over the skewers.
- Garnish with additional sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top for added richness and flavor.
- Serve the prosciutto-wrapped watermelon skewers warm as an appetizer or a unique side dish.